Thursday, August 19, 2010

let's help this family

It has been a while since I’ve been on here. The 6-month mark came and went on the 14th. We were actually in a car show in Iowa with our Fiero friends. I can’t think of a better way to pass a sad day. I would like to tell you things are better and we are “healing.,” but that is just what people want to hear. Truthfully, I am mad more often than not lately. I am so mad that Tyler is gone and I am so helpless. It is very hard not to tell God to take a flying leap…. And I have a few times. It’s not something easy to forgive God for NOT stepping in to give us that miracle. I know I don’t deserve His forgiveness, but right now I don’t feel like He deserves mine either. Heaven is so abstract that it is hard to see the “better place” here on this earth.

I didn’t really come on here to talk about myself today. I want to ask for you to help another little boy with cancer. My mom’s work (which in her department only a handful of people) were so active in fundraising and support of our family that it blew my mind more than once. A friend of my mom at work has a grandson who is 3 who is battling his second bout of leukemia. He was in remission around the time Tyler got sick. I know you don’t know these people and at this point I can’t even give you a name (I don’t have permission for that), but a lot of you didn’t know me either. Tyler became sort of a celebrity because of the Fiero crew. Because of that, people from across the country followed his story and got to know what a great kid he was. Really in the scheme of things , he is a drop in the bucket of kids with cancer in this nation. Everyone who followed our caring bridge, attended our benefit, and helped with the Fiero touched our lives and supported our family in such a way that money was the last thing we worried about. I know people don’t like to talk about money and there is no comparison to money and your child’s life. I would give up everything in my meager possession to have Tyler back right now. It is a fact of life, however, that when your child has cancer the world does not stop moving. The electric bill still needs to be paid, you still need heat, your mortgage company still wants their payment. As a parent in this situation, you are constantly torn between knowing what has to be done and what you want to do.  Let’s help this family.

My mom’s work is trying to put together some things for a benefit. If anyone around myself is willing to donate something, please let me know and I will personally come pick it up. If anyone is willing to donate an item or money who doesn’t live near me, please email me and I will give you the address to send to. I know firsthand how terrific people can be and I would love to pass that on to another hurting family.  I wish I couldn’t say I know just what they are feeling right now. I wish I couldn’t say that I could crawl in that mom’s head and feel right at home. Helping someone else at least gives me some feeling of power. Take that cancer!

I joined the bone marrow registry yesterday. Please consider that. I wish I could give a target directed marrow donation to this child, but that isn’t the way it works. I signed up anyway.
http://www.marrow.org/

Lastly, again I don’t feel comfortable saying a name at this point. I will have to ask about that later. I don’t know this family at all other than how this boy’s grandma was so generous and kind to our family.  Please pray for them. God knows their names.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nicholaskoenig/journal

    Further information: Nicholas Koenig is this boy's name. His parents names Erik and Shannon.

    A benefit account has been set up for Nicholas & his Family. If you would like to donate please contact the Central Minnesota Federal Credit Union (centralmnfcu.org).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, Nicholas lost his battle with AML this week. You can visit his CaringBridge page to learn more.

    My sympathy to your family as well.

    ReplyDelete