Monday, April 4, 2011

I was laying here tonight watching a show I recorded from Sunday night and caught the intro to a story out of Fargo about a young sophmore with cancer - sarcoma no less - going to her senior prom. I quickly found her story on caring bridge and the story shook me. It brought me back to "the diagnosis" and "no cure" and "hospice" and "the after." Just when you think things are going at a steady pace, a stranger's story can bring you right back to the beginning. I mentioned to someone on a blog recently that if you can get through losing someone close to you from cancer or any other early death and still have faith, God has already performed a miracle in your life - albeit not the one you were probably hoping for. It was so frustrating and still is when I hear things like "it's in God's hands" or "God knows what's best for us." While I'm sure that is true, thinking that is an easy thing to come to terms with is moronic. I am sure my backseat driving even tries God's patience often times.  I just want, need, yearn for Tyler - in a way that I want, need, yearn for air. I will never stop breathing until I am ready to leave this earth, because it is part of how my body works. Likewise, I will never stop missing Tyler because it is part of how my soul works. Please check out this girl's caring bridge and keep her close to your heart and pray for her and also her family if you think of it. 

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/morganhayes



In other news... literally... I have been writing the Frazee Hometown Happiness column in our local paper. It has been a fun undertaking and I have been able to put my own little spin on it. My first paying writing gig... who knew. I have been busy getting ready for the 2nd Annual Tyler Shipman Memorial Car Show. We have already raised upwards of 1700. All proceeds this year and years to come will be going directly to the Tyler Shipman Scholarship Fund at Frazee High School. I am very, very excited that we have this opportunity to give back to the kids in our community. What better way to keep Tyler's memory going. We are selling car show t-shirts and memorial stickers that I was able to get for cost.  If someone reading this isn't on my Facebook, hasn't seen the car show web site, or hasn't gotten an email from me and would like more info on that, just let me know.

I got an invite from some of the kids on Facebook who are planning on meeting at the cemetary for Memorial Day. I am always a little surprised that the kids still think of Tyler too. It makes me very grateful he had such good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment