Monday, January 31, 2011

As we are staring at the one year anniversary of Tyler’s death in the face, I am a little surprised at how fast this last year has gone.  Life and Death stare at each other across a great battlefield with us humans in the thick of the war.  Time is the jester on the sidelines laughing at us all, knowing that no matter who wins he will continue his merry dance of tick tock tick tock. Strangely enough Life and Death are brothers of a sort - without the death of Jesus, we couldn’t experience life eternal. Without death on earth, life in heaven would never begin.  Here we are a year later the mixed feelings I have regarding both life and death are no where near sorted out.

Everyone wants to know about all the “firsts” in the first year. My readers have all had a front seat of the highs and lows. If I had to pinpoint the worst firsts I would say Tyler’s birthday, Mother’s day, and deer hunting and fishing opening.  I have missed Tyler in the day, at night when I lay down, even in my dreams sometimes. I have reinacted every mistake and argument I had with him. I have  looked at pictures, pictures, and more pictures. I have hung onto and daydreamt about every happy memory I could think of. I have seen his smile float in my memory. I have heard his voice when he wasn’t there. I have closed my eyes and hugged myself and pretended it was him. I have talked to him, cried for him, cried for myself, cried for my family. I have talked about Tyler like he was still here. Through all of this I have discovered that I am human, imperfect, but in a lot of ways I feel like Samson fighting the giant Goliath. Grief can be a big shadowing menace that lurks and threatens to swallow you whole. Your gut instinct may be to curl into a ball and surrender. Mine was. Shut everyone out, shut myself up. If I am alone then no one can see me or hurt me anymore. The problem with being alone is it is lonely. So I chose to fight the giant. Some days that meant just going to work. Some days it was so much more - good memories, good times, laughing, smiling, a glimpse of the “before” life we used to have.  The giant is still there - he always will be. Grief isn’t something you “get over.” Now that it has been a year, we are not magically “cured” anymore than Tyler was. As I have mentioned before, it is not getting over loss, it is learning to live with it. Some days it hurts worse than others.  I imagine this is part of the “acceptance” we hear about. I do accept Tyler is gone, that we couldn’t have changed that. I accept that despite this, we must continue on here. I also accept that it is OK to still have happiness - that doesn’t lessen any part of Tyler’s life.

This last  year wasn’t all about sadness. We had many things that happened this past year that will be treasured memories in years to come. We got our little dog Dixie - much to Jay’s dismay, although for some reason now he is Dixie’s favorite person. Jay will tell you he doesn’t like her, but it is funny how I always find her sitting on his lap. We’ll keep that our little secret though.  We got to hang out with our Fiero buddies off and on all summer and I got my own Fiero in the fall. We had an awesome car show and party at our house in July. We got to go to Mexico in December. I celebrated the last birthday of my 30s in May - that wasn’t so much fun - but isn’t 40 the new 30? I guess we will see in a few months. We watched Carter play baseball and wrestle. This year wasn’t all bad. I have a quote on my email signature for work. It reads “It’s not what you look at, it’s what you see.”

I readily admit that I can be depressed, upset, angry, and generally feel like hitting something. When the helpless/hopeless feelings set in, this is a very human side effect. Things are never as “June Cleaver” as I aspire to be. Sometimes it plain old sucks to be around me.  I think the main cause of that is it is my knee jerk reflex to internalize the “real me.”  I get tired of talking about how bad I feel to my family and friends. I often feel like my timeframe of that has expired. I have a fierce independent streak 10 miles wide and to become a burden - whether emotional or physical - on someone else is not easy for me to do. That brings us to coping. How have I learned to “cope” this past year?  Someone in my position a year ago may be wondering that… how in the world do I handle this? Put your pants on one leg at a time, that’s how.  Sometime my feet get tangled up and my pants are on backwards, but by God those pants get put on every day.

We all develop our own methods of coping starting at a very young age and carry those methods and develop new ones as we grow older. I have some good coping habits and some bad ones. My initial way to deal with this as I mentioned was just shutting down. If I put on a smile and just pretend everything is fine, everyone will quit looking at me and wondering if I am going to fall apart. You can only hide from yourself for so long though before it starts to wear you out. Talking - to anyone - friends or family - is a good way to release that pent up steam. You know that crazy lady in sweatpants who hasn’t showered in 3 days that you run into while looking at canned soup in the Wal-mart who bumps your cart and ends up telling you her life story? Sometimes that’s me. At least I don’t follow anyone to their car or anything really strange, not yet anyway. The point is talking about it makes it less scary. I talk about Tyler because I can. I will never stop talking about him. If that makes anyone uncomfortable, I don’t care. I talk about him because he is still my son, I am still his mom, and talking about him makes me feel close to him. I remember very clearly the first time I was asked by a stranger how many kids I had shortly after Tyler’s death. I was just dumbfounded and I said “2.” This was only days after the funeral.  I felt horrible the instant it left my mouth, but I wasn’t prepared how that simple ordinary question that everyone asks would put me in a position of having to share my loss with someone I didn’t know. I will never make that mistake again. Ask me how many children I have. I have 3, one of them is waiting for me in heaven. “I’m so sorry to hear that” you might say as you are feeling very uncomfortable. I will reply, “Don’t be sorry. I am not sorry he is in heaven. Yes I wish I had more time with him here on earth and I miss him like crazy, but how can I be sorry he sits at the feet of Jesus right now? I know I will join him when this life of mine is over and I am glad of that.”

Other ways I have found to cope are keeping busy - idle hands and all. I love my job, which is a blessing all in itself. I have started to exercise regularly - as opposed to eating myself into oblivion. If you know me or follow facebook, you know I go to Zumba. OK, I am not coordinated and prone to unexplained falling episodes generally, but this single lifestyle change has been one of the best things I have done completely selfishly for me this past year. If you feel bad, just moving - doing something - makes a huge difference. Nothing usually deters me from going to my exercise class - not even blizzards. Jay drove me through an all out fierce Minnesota blizzard one night just to get me to the community center. Other “doing” things like my memorial garden this summer was so healing. I have started quilting again - which was a huge passion of mine prior to cancer. I had to decide again that it was OK to be happy. I had to ask myself, would Tyler want you to sit on the couch crying the rest of your life or would he say “get out and ride mom.” I think we all know what he would say.

Writing has been another way of coping. I have always expressed myself so much better with written words then speaking. I have put all my laundry out there to dry so to speak. I have said so many times to never put something out there in cyberspace that you wouldn’t want the whole world to read. I am proud of every caring bridge journal entry and every blog entry since that. I wouldn’t care if no one read anything - because in essence this has been therapy for me.  I keep hoping that somewhere, someday, my words might help someone else. I have started to put together all my journal entries in a form to maybe publish someday - but that is not as easy as one might think. If you didn’t know me, would what I have to say be of interest to you? That is the question of the day I guess.

Family is on the list of coping mechanisms of course.  I cannot tell you how many people comment on the “statistic” of divorce after a child death. I am sure people wonder about us… if I was you I would wonder. To say our marriage was strained during Tyler’s illness is an understatement.  I can only guess at the magnitude of helplessness Jay felt when Tyler was sick. Although I felt that too, I was doing the caregiver role so I didn’t have time to sit and think as much. After Tyler died, then it hit me like a ton of bricks. We have had our own wars between us - sometimes it was him angry at me and sometimes it was me angry at him. If you would have asked me a year ago if we would make it, I would have honestly said I don’t know. We have traveled a long road together. Marriage is hard in any case. Throw in some cancer and a loss of a child and strain doesn’t begin to describe what happens. I said a long time ago in a journal entry that cancer was like an atomic bomb going off in your family. Only after the smoke clears will you see what you have left. We have learned in the last year that what is left is us - we are here and we aren’t going anywhere. Jay has held me when I cried and I have held him when he has cried. We have talked to each other about Tyler, what happened, what hurts the most.  You can either push or pull - as long as the pulls outweigh the pushes things tend to work themselves out.  Cancer robbed us of our son - what we choose to do with the rest of our lives is not up to cancer.

So here we are - almost a year later. I have struggled, stumbled, fallen flat on my face, and gotten up to do it all over again.  I guess that is some sort of miracle all on its own. On February 14 at 7:45 pm I will be making my way down to the cemetery and walking through the snowdrifts to where Tyler’s body was laid to rest. I am going to release a yellow balloon and tell Tyler I love him and I miss him. I will probably cry. I am sure I will not be alone in this sadness. I know I will not be alone in the cemetery.

My request of the readers of this blog is to post your favorite Tyler story on here. I would like to be flooded with stories. Even if you did not know Tyler personally, maybe your favorite story you heard about him from me or what touched you most about his life. I want to “talk” about him. Let’s give him a cyber memorial and in this way give me a cyber hug. I always love to hear from Ty’s friends. They have a piece of Tyler that I don’t - as it should be.  These memories you share with me are like flowers… fill up my garden.

I will start. My most recent favorite memory during that last summer we had Tyler was our last camping trip. I was camping with Carter and Cassie by myself and Tyler showed up. We cooked pork roast on the campfire - and ended up eating the whole thing without saving any for Jay. We played yahtzee in the dark and laughed so hard I might have peed myself a little. It was the best camping trip I have ever had with my kids and it was only about 30 miles from our house. When I look at this picture I can hear Tyler laughing in my mind.


 My favorite memory of our time with cancer was the day Jay took Carter to Frazee open wrestling and Tyler and I watched a Cake Boss marathon - all day. It was just him and I hanging out. He snoozed and would wake up and then snooze some more. I laugh also when I remember his first day of Kindergarten. I was so worried he would get lost - because he HAD TO take the bus - that I wrote his name, teacher’s name, and room number on his lunch box. He came home and informed me in as matter of fact voice a 5-year-old can have that wasn’t cool and to not ever do that again.


11 comments:

  1. Again, you amaze me with your words. What a beautiful post on the year of firsts, and again my eyes are filled with tears. My favorite post of yours would be your letter to him telling him that you bought yourself a Fiero. I can see him smiling down on you with his million dollar smile. What a cool mom, I hope you enjoy every ride in that car, knowing that Tyler is with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kindergarten story had me in stitches! That was very funny and so typical boy. But so typical mom to think her son would not find his classroom or ANYTHING! ha! Love love love it.

    I did not know Tyler, or your family. I have been a reader since the KARE 11 story on the Fiero club. I have been praying for your family since.

    I too, have to say my favorite story is when you bought your Fiero. I can picture you smiling as you head to town and you might just be stepping on the gas a little too. ;-) I hope you do. Have fun.

    Also love the camping story. It is times like that, that a basically unplanned that at the funnest and brings about the best memories.

    (((hugs to you all)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie, you already know my favorite Tyler story... Everything that I experienced.
    I read these words tonight and teared up, and then smiled, and even laughed, especially at the kindergarten part.
    As always, we are here for you and Jay, Carter and Cassie. You know where to find us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know you or Tyler but have come to know your beautiful family through your blog. It is a blessing you share your story with us. Tyler's spirit comes shining through in your words. I love reading about his passion for his car. I pray for you, your family and Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey nellie! I was at Andy's conference tonight and the teacher said andy is just a great little writer and asked if I wrote...HAHA..I said, nope..but my sister sure does!
    Tyler stories are too many to number but a few good ones.
    ...trick or treating when he was too little to even walk at the apartments..mommy and aunties got some yummy candy that year.
    ....bringing him to school with me when I was in high school so he could meet my friends..he was such a cool little kid that I had to show him off
    ....ice skating for the first time,
    .....I remember we stopped by shane's apartment to grab something and shane had all his toys in boxes (you know how he does that,they are 'collectible') and tyler trying to convince him to open them :) Because why in the world would you leave toys in the box
    ...last summer at your house and Andy watching Tyler ride the four wheeler and then saying NO WAY was he getting on that thing because Tyler was going to KILL him. We had to convice andy that if Ty killed him that he'd be grounded for sure!

    If you need more call anytime :) Love ya
    Krys

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not get the chance to meet Tyler before he passed,but i had sent a Christmas present to the Shipman family while Tyler was still with them.
    I sent them a popcorn popper,the kind that you put on the stove top and crank the handle.
    I was sent an email from Daneele,telling me that Carter had always wanted 1 of those.
    Daneele also told me that Carter made the popcorn.
    Burnt a little bit,but not bad.
    Tyler had a little bit so as not to make his brother feel bad.
    I guess they had laughs,along with their popcorn.
    Daneele told me that whenever she smells popcorn,the thoughts of that time come back to her.
    I did get the chance to go to Frazee last summer to visit Tylers resting place.
    While there,Jay and Daneele drove up.
    We went back to their house and got to meet Carter and Cassie,and of course,little Dixie,cute as ever!
    The garden that has been made is just BEAUTIFUL!
    A very tranquil place to be.
    I want to say that meeting the Shipman family was a very touching day.
    The memories of Tyler that they all shared with us was very heart-warming.
    Seeing Tylers Toy,his snow-mobile,and Tylers things in the shop was a very kind gesture of Jay,Daneele,Carter,and Cassie to share with us.
    I am hoping to make another trip to frazee this spring/summer,to pay respects to Tyler,and his family.
    I plan on bringing something to add to
    TYLERS GARDEN.
    THANK YOU TO, JAY,DANEELE.CARTER,CASSIE,FOR BEING SO WELCOMING.
    DAWN SCHMECHEL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was talking about Tyler and his group of friends today to a student in my 10th grade class. I remember right where he sat in not only 10th grade but also in 7th grade. In fact I remember the first time I met him, 7th grade orientation. He sat in the front desk by the door and with all the gusto of a 7th grade boy he quipped back and forth with me. I loved his quick wit and ability to match my sense of humor. At the end of our short period I told him that he was the only 7th grader whose name I knew already :)
    I watched Carter wrestle this weekend at Fargo, he did well. I couldn't help but think how much he was started to remind me of Tyler. All too soon Carter will be roaming the halls of the high school :)
    Julie Wake

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you didn’t know me, would what I have to say be of interest to you? That is the question of the day I guess.
    I don't know you but the answer to your question is an overwhelming "YES". I check your site weekly for updates. I spent several hours at work one day reading your Caring Bridge site, crying. I went home and cried while I hugged my children and tried to explain what your family was going through. You should publish your story,it might help you and it surely will give inspiration to others. Life is certainly not fair but I think Tyler was an amazing young man. I will think of you all on February 14th, wishing you peace for the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandma Cass

    I have so many stories it is hard to chose so here goes. I remember when you came to visit us in Sauk Rapids and Tyler was so little he slept in my dresser drawer, when his Auntie Krys and Auntie Dovie took him trick or treating and he was so small he fit in their trick or treat bag. When he older and I came to his wrestling match and he was so proud,playing his horn and thinking he was ready for the big times. When he was a teen and riding on all his toys and assuring me it was okay to go fast cause I was always afraid he would get hurt. He took his Grandma for a ride in the red corvette he had for prom and he was so proud but so careful. My last thing would be all of our conversations we had texting every night. He always told me how he was feeling and I would listen and try to make it better. Of course we always went back and forth about football cause I am Bears and He was Packers. I remember when all the Aunties came to Fargo to see him and I got to sit in the room alone with him for a while, that was so special to me. When he got home amd I would come to visit him every weekend and sometimes it would be snowing or dark when I left and he would always ask me if I was going to be okay. All the things he had to worry about and he would ask me. I miss him so. I miss him telling me nighty night and I love you every night on my phone. I have 5 special grandchildren and Tyler was one of them. I will love and miss you always.
    Love Grandma Cass

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite memory of Tyler was when he showed up at my girl's slumber party on his dirtbike. I thought my parents were going to kill me because I wasn't supposed to have boys over. I jumped on his dirtbike and took it for a little spin and wiped out. He came running to make sure everything was okay and said, "Get off the ground; I need to teach you how to ride." Well, not only did he show me how to ride a dirtbike, but he also showed me to "Get out and ride".

    Also, I can remember all the times he would come into Four Corners. He always ordered a bacon cheeseburger, cottage fries, a side of ranch and a butterscotch milk shake.

    Forever In My Heart!
    <3 Kari Stenger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most of my memories with Tyler come from riding the bus. We always got our seats assigned to us when we were younger based on how old we were and when we grew up if you were older you got to sit farther back. Tyler and Devon convinced me that he was older than me every year. I didn't really understand how he was but finally I just decided that it must be true, because if he wasn't he wouldn't tell me every year. A while after he went with Jesus, I was walking in the cemetary. When I walked up to Tyler's resting place I saw his birthdate. I laughed and got the biggest smile ever, all those years I was convinced that he was older than me when I was really older than him. It was also really cool watching him look out for Carter when he started riding the bus. Another thing that I will never forget is when the rest of our friends weren't riding the bus, we would always have the most interesting and best conversations ever from talking about hunting, his dirt bikes to life in general. Tyler is an amazing person and will never be forgotten. He inspires me daily. So on this beautiful day I am celebrating him and thinking of you guys and how blessed all of us are for knowing him.
    Always in my heart and on my mind.
    Amelia Feldt

    ReplyDelete