Monday, February 14, 2011

Today's the day. A year of learning to live after death. I'm not sure I have really learned anything, but the grief I feel isn't the breathtaking, debilitating, like someone stuck a knife in my stomach and my guts are hanging out for everyone to see feeling it was a year ago. Sound like a gruesome description? Well it doesn't really come close to how it really felt one year ago today. If you would have asked me that day if I would be a functioning individual who enjoys her life I would have told you "hell no." Fortunately or unfortunately life goes on without those we lose whether we like it or not. So here I am a year later. Grief right now is more like a bone deep arthritis ache that flares up when it rains in my heart. I won't tell you that still doesn't happen daily, but I will tell you when it does I am better able to ride it out knowing that the sun does shine again. Many lifetimes ago in one of my blogs on caring bridge I spoke about finding "rainbows in the rain." I had forgotten about that until recently I was reading through my blog entries for the first time. It made me think of the car show this summer when we had more than one rainbow show up on the horizon and everyone was commenting on the significance of that. We have had so many rainbows in this rainfall of our lives.  I am sad today. I am heartbroken. I miss my boy. I miss what our lives should have been. But... I am still looking for rainbows and in this way I am healing.

3 comments:

  1. My day has been sad but I will tell you how it went. I got to see Carter and Cassie off to school which was fun. I took Dixie outside to do her thing and I got to give Daneele a hug before I left for home. On the way I stopped at the cemetary to see Tyler. I know he was laughing at me. I was wading in snow up to my knees and sat on my but quite a few times. By the time i got there I was so tired I was wondering how I was going to make it back to the car. I could just hear Tyler laughing at me and saying you can do it and I did. I miss him terrible. Love Grandma Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of you and your family today and will continue to keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing. We will never forget Tyler (even those of us who've never met him), never forget his family, and never forget his triumph over cancer. My son turned 16 last week and I hug him every day in honor of a mother who can no longer hug her eldest son. My prayers continue to be with all of you.

    ReplyDelete